The FDOT Tentative Work Program is the document listing transportation projects receiving state and federal funding in the coming five years (2016-20121). It includes some notable successes for walking and bicycling.
Hillsborough County and the City of Tampa designed a number of sidewalk and bicycle facility improvements projects that were prioritized by the MPO Board in August. Several of these have now been funded!
- Columbus Drive: Nebraska Ave – 14th St
- Lutz Lake Fern Trail Connector: Stillwood Dr to Upper Tampa Bay Trail
- Cypress Creek Elementary: Salida Del Sol Dr – Beth Shields Way
- Rome Avenue: Kennedy Blvd – Columbus Dr
- Stowers Elementary: Gentle Wood Ave – Barrington Stowers Dr
- 46th Street: Busch Blvd – Fowler Ave
- Summerfield Elementary: Heritage Green Pkwy – east of Pkwy
- Old Big Bend Road: Covington Garden Dr – Lincoln Rd
There are also several traffic signals being updated across the county, which will ensure proper pedestrian crossing treatments are in place. And, there are a number of roadways receiving new pavement, making cycling more comfortable and safe.
At the November 10th MPO Board Meeting, FDOT stepped up their commitment to safe walking and bicycling by identifying funding for Plant City’s Collins Street Complete Street enhancements. Evaluated in the MPO’s feasibility study in 2013, the Collins Street Study recommendations will help jump-start revitalization efforts in the Midtown district of Plant City with reconfigured streets and a community green space.
Other announcements by FDOT included funding for the Advanced Traffic Management System on North Dale Mabry and HART’s Kennedy Boulevard MetroRapid PD&E Study.
Check out the comprehensive list of transportation projects in our area in the FDOT District 7 Tentative Work Program.