January 2021 – As a commitment to Vision Zero, the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) allocated $500,000 to the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) to study eight of the top 20 High-Injury Corridors under the County’s jurisdiction. The eight reports focus on low-cost engineering countermeasures that will go a long way towards causing drivers to slow down, provide additional and safer crosswalks, and in some cases give cyclists their own lane or side path. View the project page for all of the Vision Zero reports.
- 78th Street (Causeway Blvd to Palm River Rd)
- Gibsonton Drive (I-75 to Balm Riverview Road)
- 15th Street (Fowler Avenue to Fletcher Avenue)
- CR579 /Mango Rd (MLK Boulevard to US 92)
- Sheldon Road (Hillsborough Ave to Waters Ave)
- Lynn Turner (Gunn Highway to Ehrlich Road)
- Fletcher Ave (Armenia Ave to Nebraska Ave)
- Bruce B. Downs (Fowler Ave to Bearss Ave)
Close collaboration between transportation planning, engineering, and law enforcement agencies is essential in turning the tide on serious injuries and fatalities on these dangerous corridors. We thank Hillsborough County for funding these Vision Zero Corridor Studies and appreciate their continuing commitment and willingness to take these steps.