Hillsborough County is the 8th largest school district in the nation, the county’s largest employer with more than 26,000 employees, and each day transports almost 90,000 students to and from school. Close collaboration between schools and transportation is important in Hillsborough County. In 2015, the Hillsborough MPO added a Hillsborough County School Board member as a voting member of the MPO, to enhance the lines of communication.
Coordination is needed on many levels in addition to the boards. Interagency partnerships are vital for problem-solving on a host of topics, from traffic circulation to walk/bike safety to school-pools and transit. A regular, periodic meeting of transportation-focused professionals representing local governments, transit agencies, public safety organizations, and several functional groups within the School District would be beneficial, and does not currently exist. The Hillsborough MPO, which provides transportation coordination and long-range planning for many of these organizations already, is a logical host for such a group.
The MPO By-Laws allow the Chair to “Establish such ad hoc committees as the Chair may deem necessary and appoint their members and chairs.” Such committees are to have a specific task identified by the MPO Chair; a committee chair who is a MPO Board member; and an expiration date. On February 2, 2016, the Chair created the School Transportation Committee based on this proposal.
Who is on the School Transportation Working Group? (STWG Membership Roster 6-22-15)
Who should Chair? – (Cindy Stuart, School Board Member, District 3)
Where should group meet? – the STWG is scheduled to meet on the 26th floor of County Center.
Where/When does this group meet? – With the great number of topics and geographic locations needing attention, monthly meetings for the first year are recommended. After a year, the schedule will be reevaluated and/or the topics referred to another group or groups, such as the MPO’s Livable Roadways Committee or Technical Advisory Committee, FDOT’s Community Traffic Safety Team, and/or the School District’s Development Review Committee.As of the inaugural meeting on April 27, 2016 the meetings are scheduled the 4th Wednesday of the month at 3 PM in the 26th floor Conference Rooms of County Center. Proposed SWTG 2016 Meeting Calendar
What potential issues will this group discuss?
- Traffic circulation
- Enforcement of traffic laws
- Traffic safety audits at schools
- Possible need for legislation to allow speed zones at high schools
- Safe Routes to Schools program candidate projects
- School crossing guards, needs and opportunities
- Charter & Magnet Schools’ transportation needs and siting issues
- High cost of school busing, and potential alternatives
- HART bus routes and times in comparison to student needs
- Walking School Bus or Bicycle Train expansion opportunities
- Ride Share and School-Pool expansion opportunities
- Joint use of shared facilities relating to transportation
- Site planning process for new schools and development review checklist(s)
- Other needs identified through the School Principals Council, School District Citizen Advisory Committee, or the Student Alliance
Who provides funding support for committee-identified needs (supplies, technical analyses, etc.)? – MPO, as part of its adopted Unified Planning Work Program
1-April 27, 2016:
2-May 25, 2016:
3-June 29, 2016:
Miscellaneous information and articles:
For further information contact Lisa Silva at email@example.com or 813.273.3774 x329