Anyone traveling on our Interstates knows that the Florida DOT has a lot of work going on. Travelers often ask: when will the construction be done? FDOT recently issued a status report on projects recently completed or wrapping up:
- I-75 bridge deck replacement over Harney Rd: FDOT re-constructed both the northbound and southbound I-75 bridges over Harney Rd (between Interstate 4/Exit 261 and Fowler Avenue/Exit 265). This included replacing a section of the bridge, as well as drainage improvements. The project improved the overall quality of ride for the public, as well as improved the drainage. Completed February 2014.
- I-75 southbound exit ramp extension & widening at SR 60 includes a southbound auxiliary lane beginning about a mile north of the existing exit and will result in a two-lane ramp. This double-lane ramp will replace the existing single-lane ramp to SR 60 in Brandon and connect to the existing four lanes at the foot of the ramp at SR 60. The project is expected to be done this Fall.
- I-275 bridge & shoulder widening from Floribraska Ave to Yukon Street will widen shoulder areas to create a more consistent shoulder width for northbound and southbound I-275 to allow vehicles to pull all the way out of travel lanes for breakdowns and accidents. This project is also anticipated to wrap up this Fall.
Looking ahead a little further, FDOT expects to complete two major projects in 2016:
- I-75 widening from Fowler Avenue to State Road 56 will result in three through-lanes in each direction in addition to auxiliary lanes near interchanges, resurfacing of existing travel lanes, drainage improvements and new bridge construction. Estimated completion date Spring 2016.
- I-275 widening from east of SR 60 to downtown Tampa will reconstruct all of the southbound interstate in that area, as well as northbound I-275 from east of SR 60 to Himes Avenue. Estimated completion date Fall 2016
For more information, contact Wally Blain at 813/273-3774 x 361.