By 2040, Hillsborough County will have up to 600,000 new residents and about 400,000 new jobs. Working together to turn the challenges that come with growth into opportunities for a thriving future, thousands of people who live, work, and play in our region participated in an interactive survey from August 16, 2013 through November 11, 2013 to help us develop the Imagine 2040 Vision. This Vision will guide the PLAN2040 Long Range Transportation Plan and Comprehensive Plans for Tampa, Temple Terrace, Plant City and Hillsborough County.
More than 3,500 people weighed in on long-range strategies for growth, development, and transportation over the outreach period.
Some of the key results include:
- Top priorities were traffic congestion, job creation, and available bus or rail service, with over 1,600 participants ranking those items in the top five out of twelve possible issues.
- The “Bustling Metro” scenario was the most well-received of the three 2040 scenarios for growth and transportation; it received the most 4- and 5-star ratings from participants. “New Corporate Centers” received the second most 4- and 5-star ratings, followed by “Suburban Dream.”
- All types of transportation improvements received overall positive ratings, with the highest ratings being for smart traffic signals and better intersections; sidewalks, bike lanes and trails; and commuter or light rail.
- The highest levels of support for job locations were in existing job centers; redevelopment of existing industrial park; and town centers with a mix of places to work.
- Most housing options were positively received, with the lowest ratings being for new homes in the rural area, either on large lots or in cluster subdivisions.
Staff is working on a thorough analysis of the input, including results by geographic areas of the county. The goal is to use this input to create a hybrid vision scenario that will guide the updates of the four Comprehensive Plans and the MPO’s Long Range Transportation Plan.
A public meeting of the Imagine 2040 Working Group is scheduled for Thursday, December 12 at 5pm at Hillsborough County Center, 26th Floor. This meeting will provide an open forum for discussion of the survey results and the survey’s implications for the plan updates.
Check back for more results from Imagine 2040 survey and a draft hybrid vision in coming weeks!