October 1st marks the beginning of a new fiscal year, and local governments have been busy preparing their budgets. On September 17th, the City of Tampa adopted a $876 million budget for fiscal year 2015. It includes some notable capital improvements to rebuild and enhance streets including:
- Completion of the Riverwalk in downtown Tampa
- Extension of West River Trail from Cass St to Columbus Dr
- Bike lanes, sidewalks, lighting and drainage improvements on Lois Ave in Drew Park
- “Complete street” for Palm Ave in Tampa Heights
- Cypress St shared use path
- 2-way conversion of Cass and Tyler Streets in downtown Tampa
- Advanced Traffic Management System
- 63 miles of resurfacing city streets
More information is posted on the City’s website.
Hillsborough’s Board of County Commissioners adopted their budget on September 18th, including the 5-year Capital Improvement Program. Major construction projects expected to get underway in FY 2015 include:
- 8-laning Bruce B Downs Blvd from Bearss Ave to Palms Springs Blvd, including sidewalks and side path
- 4-laning Bell Shoals Rd from Boyette Rd to Bloomingdale Ave, including new signals, sidewalks and bike lanes
- Wrapping up the “complete street” project on Fletcher Ave from Nebraska Ave to 50th St, including new crosswalks, pedestrian safety refuge islands in the median, and a new sidewalk on the south side of Fletcher Ave
More information on Hillsborough County projects is available here.