The Gulf Coast Safe Streets Summit (GCSSS) is excited to partner with the Safe Routes to School National Conference!
The 2019 Safe Routes National Partnership Conference and 2019 Gulf Coast Safe Street Summit will be jointly held at the Hilton Tampa Downtown from November 12-14, 2019. Be sure to save the date for both fabulous opportunities to join hundreds of active transportation and public health advocates and practitioners from across the country for valuable networking, sharing best practices, and exploring one of Florida’s most vibrant and active cities.
FDOT is the presenting sponsor of the conference, and the Hillsborough MPO is excited to be the local host and partner for this event! “We look forward to exploring approaches that create safe roads for everyone, together, “ said Lisa K. Silva, Hillsborough MPO’s point of contact for both events.
The Safe Routes National Partnership Conference will include exciting keynote speakers, panels, presentations, hands-on workshops, and roundtable discussions; more information here.
*NEW* Online nomination form for Bob the Builder & Vision Zero Hero Awards to be presented at the 5:30pm reception following the Summit! If you prefer the paper version, email completed form to Lisa Silva at firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 Gulf Coast Safe Streets Summit Details
The Gulf Coast Safe Streets Summit is a collaborative event of the Hernando/Citrus, Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, and Sarasota/Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organizations, the Polk County Transportation Planning Organization, the Florida Department of Transportation, the USF Center for Urban Transportation Research, and Walk Bike Tampa. This partnership provides a regional approach to prioritize the Complete Streets initiative throughout the local jurisdictions along the Gulf Coast of Florida.
- Date: November 14, 2019 from 2:00pm – 8:00pm — including Reception & Awards at 5:00 pm.
- Location: Hilton Tampa Downtown -Palma Ceia Rooms, 211 N. Tampa Street, Tampa 33602. Reception will follow in the Hilton’s Bayshore rooms.
- Registration: $50, available as a separate item for purchase on the Safe Routes Partnership Conference registration site. The registration fee helps cover meeting expenses.
- Sponsorships: To sponsor the Gulf Coast Safe Streets Summit mail your check made payable to the Hillsborough County BOCC to: The Planning Commission, GCSSS Sponsorship, 601 E Kennedy Boulevard, 18th floor, Tampa, FL 33602. If you, your agency, or company require an invoice or receipt please contact Felicia Pulliam at email@example.com.
- Social Media: Please use: #GCSafeStreetsSummit
- AICP CM credits pending
- Share the Gulf Coast Safe Streets Summit flyer.
- Friday, Nov. 15 at 7:30am, join Vision Zero Hillsborough in the Walk of Silence 2019 remembering those lives lost due to traffic violence.
Why Hold The Summit?
This is West Central Florida’s preeminent educational event aimed at encouraging the implementation of Complete Streets that are safe and accessible for all. As we work to elevate our individual efforts, cohesive linkages across to sister counties will lead to regionally significant transportation facilities and safety programs for all modes of transportation and for all ages and abilities.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone in the region who wants to help create healthier and safer communities should come hear energizing and informed speakers, engage with public officials, and mingle with community partners.
Additional Summit Information:
Lodging (on Tampa Downtown Partnership website)
Parking. Several garages and maps are available and can be found on the City of Tampa Parking Garage and Lot Map
Bicycling. Bicycle racks are provided around Downtown. Ride your own bike or try Coast Bike Share.
Water Taxi. If traveling within the downtown area, check out the Pirate Water Taxi
Downtowner. A FREE, on-demand ride service using six-passenger electric vehicles.
E-scooters. Downtown’s shared electric scooter pilot program.
2019 Safe Routes to School National Conference Presenting Sponsors and Local Host
Gulf Coast MPO Members:
Gulf Coast Safe Streets Summit Partners:
Inaugural 2018 Gulf Coast Safe Streets Summit
Thank you to all who participated in the first-ever Gulf Coast Safe Streets Summit in February 2018!
- Opening Address – Leah Shahum, Vision Zero Network
- Session 1 – Mayors Panel “Making it Happen”
- Keynote Address – Ryan Gravel, Sixpitch
- Session 2 – Advocates Panel “Carrying the Torch”
- Session 3 – Secretaries Panel “A Target of Zero”
- Awards Ceremony
Also check out pictures from the Summit. Please upload any you took as well!