The Transportation Disadvantaged Coordinating Boards (TDCBs) of Hillsborough, Pasco and Pinellas met in October in a continuing quest for better regional service. The boards seek to improve the quality of life and provide social activity trips for those unable to provide their own transportation due to a disability, age, or income. In their second meeting, the Tri-County TDCB agreed to pursue:
- Solutions for needs identified in the Tri-County Area Regional Needs Assessment by incorporating them into funding applications under the FTA Section 5310 program
- Regular updates of the Tri-County Needs Assessment priorities
- Regional transportation initiatives serving the transportation disadvantaged, including funding opportunities and reaching out to community organizations locally, statewide and nationally
- Sharing information about individual transportation disadvantaged service plans, annual operating reports and related issues with emphasis on identifying common issues
- Educating elected officials and community leaders on the challenges and needs of the transportation disadvantaged in the Tri-County area
- Coordinating on regional needs with bodies such as the Tampa Bay Transportation Management Area Leadership Group, TBARTA, and the Florida Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged
- Working with transportation providers to support the transportation disadvantaged
- Raising awareness of the negative connotation of the terminology “transportation disadvantaged”
The Tri-County Access Plan, adopted earlier this year, identified more regional transit, expanding fixed-route transit coverage and hours of operation, investment in rail and bus transit and more connections to Hillsborough County as the top regional needs for the transportation disadvantaged.
The next meeting of the Tri-County Transportation Disadvantaged Coordinating Board will be on January 29, 2015 from 1 pm to 3 pm at the Florida Department of Transportation District 7 offices, 11201 N McKinley Drive in Tampa.
For more information contact Michele Ogilvie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 813.272.3774 x317.